Read/review the following resources for this activity:
This assignment is an individual assignment that will start you on the road to completing your Week 7 PowerPoint presentation.
PowerPoint Project Timeline
PowerPoint Topic and Organization
PowerPoint Outline Rough Draft
PowerPoint Outline Final Draft, Images, and Sources
Although the lesson for this week already addressed this information, for ease of assignment completion, here it is again.
Here is a list of topics from which you can choose:
- Verbal communication
- Nonverbal communication
- Public speaking
- Cross-cultural communication in the workplace
- Listening in communication
- Gender and communication
- Communication and care management
- Conversation skills
- Communication, technology, and social media
Click on the following link for an example of what you will be doing this week:
Use this example to guide your submission for this assignment.
- Choose a topic: #3 Public Speaking
- Narrow the topic to identify a specific purpose: Managing anxiety when public speaking
- Develop a one-sentence thesis: There are three important steps to take in order to manage anxiety when doing a presentation.
- Establish your main points for the PowerPoint:
- Main Point #1: Visualize doing the presentation well
- Main Point #2: Take a deep breath before you begin
- Main Point #3: Focus on the information rather than the performance
- Three sources (Include the titles of three potential sources here.)
- Source 1
- Source 2
- Source 3
With the above example, the topic was narrowed to managing anxiety. This topic could have also been narrowed to eliminating “um’s”, presenting while using a visual aid, etc. There are many different ways in which you can make the topic of your choice more specific to your interests.
Now it is your turn. In order to write an effective thesis, you will need to do your research. Find a minimum of three scholarly sources that you plan to use to inform your teaching. Use the template for Assignment 2 to guide your organization of this information. You will receive feedback concerning your topic choice, thesis, organization, and sources in the grading process.
At the end of your submission, add a reflection paragraph addressing your consideration of a cross-cultural topic and why or why not this topic what chosen. What is about cross-cultural communication that interests you, concerns you, or creates a barrier for you.
Note: Any topic you chose is fine, but this is a chance to reflect on the added component of cross-cultural communication.
PowerPoint presentations with recorded narration are due in Week 7. Begin practicing the use of your microphone with your computer and the PowerPoint narration feature.
Make sure to view the following tutorial for help with creating narration:
Writing Requirements (APA format)
- Length: 0.5-1 page (not including title page or references page)
- 1-inch margins
- Double spaced
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Title page
- References page is not required as the 3 sources are listed in Section 5