health and illness in diverse cultures.
I need an explanation for this Nursing question to help me study.
To be successful, follow the below steps:
- Go to www.census.gov. In the Search box in the upper right corner, type in your city and state. Click on the QuickFacts link.
- Scroll down to Race and Ethic origin. Choose an ethnicity that is not your own.
- Perform a literature search on the health practices/disparities/influences of that group. Report on the following:
- The ethnic group’s perception of communication.
- The ethic group’s perception of space.
- The ethnic group’s perception of social organization.
- The ethnic group’s perception of time.
- The ethnic group’s perception of environmental control.
- Finally, any biological variations of that ethnic group (for example, sickle cell anemia in African Americans or people of Mediterranean descent)
- Explain how awareness of these perceptions can influence the care you provide for a person of this ethnicity.
- Initial Post: Minimum of two (2) total references: one (1) from required course materials and one (1) from peer-reviewed references.
- Initial Post: Minimum 200 words excluding references (approximately one (1) page)
This week’s learning activities are video case studies on the Department of Health and Human Services Website, https://www.thinkculturalhealth.hhs.gov/resources/videos.
Choose one of the five videos and discuss the following:
- What is the diverse cultural background of the patient involved? After searching for information related to this culture, how do these individuals perceive health and illness?
- What is the overarching issue being presented in this video?
- What can be done to overcome the issue? Do research outside of the video—this information should be from professional, scholarly sources.
- Choose an example of a time you had to overcome a cultural barrier in your nursing practice. What was the issue? What was the diverse cultural background? What did you do to overcome the issue?
Minimum of four (4) total references: two (2) references from required course materials and two (2) peer-reviewed references. All references must be no older than five years (unless making a specific point using a seminal piece of information)
Number of Pages/Words
Unless otherwise specified all papers should have a minimum of 600 words (approximately 2.5 pages) excluding the title and reference pages.